ITEMS NOT ALLOWED
Firearms, ammunition, drugs, alcoholic beverages, foodstuff.
1- Certificate of Residence
“Residence certificate” issued by the nearest Portuguese consulate confirming that he has resided in the country of origin at least during the last twelve months, prior to client’s departure to Portugal.
It is understood to be the normal residence of a person where same lives for a period of at least 185 days of a civil year, in consequence of his or her professional life or, in a case of a non-professional life, in consequence of the bond between the person and the place where he or she lives.
For the purposes of the automobile tax exemption (in the case of importing an automobile to Portugal), it is by law required that a person lives and works abroad for at least 24 consecutive months.
2- Baggage Certificate (“Certificado de bagagem“)
All Portuguese citizens who work and reside outside of the European Community for at least the period of one year, when returning to Portugal in a definitive basis, are entitled to import their household effects with exemptions on import duties and Iva (V.A.T) exemptions.
Household effects are interpreted as household goods belonging to the person and his or her family, such as:
- household furniture and household belongings;
- bicycles and motorbikes (up to 50 cc), trailers, camping caravans, leisure boats and tourism airplanes that do not translate into, either by its nature or by its quantity, any relationship to commercial use;
- domestic animals and saddle animals;
- all mechanic portable instruments that are of personal or professional use by its owner;
Rules to be observed: items are not to have benefited from any exemption when purchased and have to be owned for at least a period of six months prior to importation in to Portugal.
Documents to be presented:
- Proof of residence (when started and when canceled);
- Proof that household effects are of personal use and ownership for at least six months;
- List of all household effects to be imported.
3- Certificate for the Importation of an Automobile.
All citizens, of Portuguese nationality, holders of a driver’s license, that can prove their status as productive immigrants for at least a period of 24 consecutive months, and that declare their intent to return to Portugal on a definitive basis, may benefit from the IA exemption (automobile tax ) on the importation of their automobiles, provided such automobiles have been of their personal use for at least a period of six months.
Rules to be observed:
- Citizen to be at least 18 years old, of Portuguese nationality and to hold a driver’s license;
- To have worked and resided outside the European Community for at least a period of 24 consecutive months;
- To own vehicle for a period of at least six months prior to importation;
- Citizen has to cancel his/her residence from present country of residence.
Documents to be presented:
- Driver’s license and vehicle registration;
- Proof of residence at said country;
- Proof of status of immigrant work for a period of at least 24 consecutive months.
- “Certificado de bagagem“
- Photocopy of passport (original may be required).
- EEC declaration supplied by RETTENMAYER.
- Declaration supplied by RETTENMAYER where date of arrival and other details are stated.
- Domicile certificate (atestado de residência) to be obtained by the client and issued by the
Junta de Freguesia in which client’s residence in Portugal is situated confirming the address and mentioning the date since when the client has resided there.
- Proof of application for residence permit no matter client’s nationality (Portuguese are the only exception).
SHIPMENTS FOR FOREIGN DIPLOMATS
Diplomatic franchise should be obtained by the local Embassy.
IMPORTANT: This information is intended for general guidance. Forward Van Lines International cannot take responsibility for any errors or oversights or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. It is advisable to contact the Embassy of Portugal at http://www.embassyportugal-us.org/Embassy_of_Portugal/Consulates_in_the_US.html for more information prior to your shipping.