The following may not be imported: Narcotics, medicine, firearms and ammunition (unless license by Danish Ministry of Justice), live plants (unless license granted by Danish Governmental Plant Protection Service based on certificate from authorities at origin that plants are free from disease), and live, dead or pre-manufactured parts of animals that are mentioned in the Washington Convention (unless license granted by Danish Nature Conservancy Board).


Duty is not applied in the following instances:


They can be imported irrespectively of quantity and value by all intending residents provided that:

  • They have been owned and used for a minimum of six months (from EU-countries only 3 months) and still are intended for owner’s use.
  • Danes returning home must have had residence abroad min. twelve months (EU-countries min. six months).

Exceptions from duty-free household goods are:

Any quantities of wine, spirits or tobacco included in a household goods shipment must be declared and will attract duties and VAT. The general regulations is that customs will accept a maximum of 10 liters of spirits, 20 liters fortified wine not exceeding 22% volume, 90 liters wine of which max. 60 liters may be sparkling wine, and 110 liters of beer as part of a household goods shipment only. Larger quantities are considered as commercial import and can only be imported by licensed importers unless an authorization has been obtained from the local customs office.

As the amount of duties and taxes are based on the value of the wine, spirit or tobacco it is impossible to indicate a general level of duties. Please note that the Danish Customs does not distinguish between opened and unopened bottles. All bottles will attract full taxes and duties.

Cars, motorbikes, airplanes, caravans, pleasure crafts and motor trailers can be imported duty free, if in owner’s possession and registered abroad for minimum 6 months, but the registration tax must be paid in any case – and is very high!

Documents required:

  • Copy of Passport
  • Inventory
  • Documentation that moving person has been a resident abroad for min. 12 months (in EEC- countries only 6 months.)
  • Full info re the citizens address abroad and in Denmark including email, phone numbers and addresses.
  • Certificate from authorities abroad, employer or the like.
  • Registration certificate (for vehicles)

Green insurance card – third party (for vehicles)


Personal belongings of diplomats employed with foreign missions in Denmark can be entered free of duty and customs examination, if the local mission issues a franchise.


Can be imported free of duty, when consignee can certify to be intestate successor either by will or lawyer’s legalization of inventory.


Can be imported provided to following documents available, Health certificate not more than 1 month old, and Rabies certificate between I and 12 month old.


From a non EU country to a secondary residence in Denmark:

The owner must have resided abroad for min.12 months and effects must have been owned for min. 6 months. The secondary residence must be owned or rented for at least 24 months and the effects not be rented nor sold for a period of 24 months from the import date.

If the above regulation is not met, import duties will apply (25% of declared insurance value).


Visitors not taking residence in Denmark cannot import household goods free of duty.

Important:This information is intended for general guidance. Forward Van Lines International cannot take responsibility for any errors or oversights or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. It is advisable to contact the nearestDanish Office at most updated information prior to your shipping.

Enter your keyword